Hot N Cold is the personal blog of Mike Lin (age 46) who was diagnosed with Bipolar I Disorder in 2015 at the age of 43.
This blog’s name is inspired by Katy Perry’s song ‘Hot N Cold’, which references the highs (mania) and lows (depression) of Bipolar.
Someone call the doctor / Got a case of a love bi-polar / Stuck on a roller coaster / Can’t get off this ride – Hot N Cold by Katy Perry
Mike started his career designing websites in 1996 after taking an ‘Intro to Graphic Design’ night class at the Art Center in Pasadena. Through sheer hustle he ended up working in San Francisco & Silicon Valley for 15 years at adjacency, Sapient, Yahoo!, LinkedIn, and Zynga.
On June 3, 2013 Mike was laid off from Zynga. After failing to secure a new job, he fell into a state of depression.
Between July, 2013 and February, 2015, Mike was:
- Committed 4 times to psychiatric health facilities via 5150 (a 72 hour involuntary psychiatric hold) for a total of 33 days
- Discharged 3 times to Casa Phoenix, a Crisis Residential Treatment (CRT) facility for a total of 26 days
- Received 13 sessions of ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy aka Electric Shock Therapy), which resulted in increased depressive symptoms
After his 4th 5150 in Feb, 2015, Mike moved to Taipei, Taiwan to live with his parents. While there he experienced his first manic episode while producing Scopeday, a live streamed travel event on Periscope, which took place on Nov 7, 2015. Mike returned to the U.S. in May, 2016.
One of the most common symptoms of bipolar disorder is impulsive and irrational spending.
While manic and off meds, Mike spent over $765,000:
- Spent $1,375 on 270+ domain names
- Dropped $40,000 on 74 Trademark filings: 72 via legally.co and 2 by himself
- Angel invested $447,500 into 10 companies
- Conned out of $55,000 by Lisa Jo Brewer (a convicted female embezzler) via a bridge loan for a graffiti event and as an investment partner into her art gallery. Mike also spent $12,000 on legal fees against Lisa
- Lost $54,000 in ‘We Are Music’, a failed music management firm. Additionally, his business partner Chad Bouck and employee Mark Barela both failed to repay personal loans
- Spent $22,000 in attorney fees on a $5 million dollar Defamation of Character Lawsuit against social media influencer Ryan A Bell
- Paid $80,000 to become a Worldmark timeshare owner with 40,000 points per year
- Spent $20,000 to be a producer on ‘Shame On You’, an anti shaming documentary, which was caught up in a legal dispute, and has yet to be released
- Donated $10,000 to ‘Start Broadcast’, a film about users of Periscope (a live streaming app) directed by Alexis Cardoza which was never completed
- Advanced $5,000 to a Hip Hop artist and $3,000 to a live streamer to become their manager, even though he had zero previous management experience
- Lost $15,000 on Event Cowboy, a company that provided sponsorship sales to event producers
After being continually harassed by his next door neighbor at the SF Shipyard, Mike fell into a state of depression in July, 2017. Mike was bed bound for 7 weeks and returned to Taiwan in August, 2017.
Between Nov, 2017 and Dec, 2017, Mike:
- Spent 55 days straight in a mental health facility in Taiwan
- Had 15 sessions of ECT performed on him against his will
Mike spent Jan & Feb, 2018 depressed in bed. After overcoming his depression, Mike returned to the U.S. in April, 2018.